26.4.09

OMSI, I'm huge, and a trip to Washington

We went to Washington and camped near the coast last weekend. We packed up all our gear and the dogs, started driving, and let the road take us (we had no idea where we would end up). Although we had lots of fun, we both had to admit that we need a destination other than the coast for future trips just to mix things up a bit. I think we've seen every beach from Northern California to Washington.


Taken out of the car window, but too pretty to resist.

Soon I will be too big to do this!

Have you ever seen clouds like this?

Our campsite was actually Lewis and Clark's final destination. There was a sidewalk engraved with the distances they traveled and recorded from several different locations. That's not a good explanation, but it's the best I can think of right now. Every few feet there was another marker. It was really interesting. JP loved learning about it.



You can't even imagine how many self-timer set ups it took to get the timing just right for this picture. We are dorks!

Be sure to tell JP how cool he looks in these pictures because he thought he was in Heaven.



We found a street named after JP!

We went to the Science Museum in Portland and especially enjoyed the prenatal exhibit. If you went to Body Works than you probably got to see it too. There was a fetus for each week of development. This one is 23 weeks old and so was our munchkin at the time. It was so amazing to see all the tiny features our little foot has (she's the length of a foot-long Chicago hot dog). I also got to feel what a baby's kick feels like in her mommy's tummy-not that exciting compared to little foot REALLY kicking me. There was also a huge exhibit on Leonardo da Vinci and the Mona Lisa. We learned a lot. We then went in a navy submarine and saw Portland from a spy hole under the water. We got to the museum late and just found out we need to go back to see the planetarium and the GE turbine power plant.

I went to the doctor this week and found out I'm "HUGE". Caps locks are necessary in this case because that's how she broke the news to me. Her words, not mine. "WHOA! YOU ARE HUGE!!! ARE YOU REALLY JUST 23 WEEKS ALONG? I'M NOT SURE THIS IS RIGHT (as she measured me again). I need you to come back next week to make sure everything is okay. Please don't go home and start freaking out or bawling." Thank you for including that last sentence. It made everything better. I tried to defend myself by saying that I have a really long torso before I realized I wasn't helping my case and a long torso would only make me smaller. Of course I came home and 'googled' reasons for measuring large, none of which are good unless I just have a really big baby or my due date is off (which it's not). I then got on a chat forum and found lots of real women who measured large and just had big 'strong' babies or evened out a little later in pregancy. Is this all TMI? JP is convinced she's just developing muscles more rapidly than most fetuses. Don't worry, I'm not freaking out or bawling, just wondering what's going on.

9 comments:

Julia M. said...

Pregnancy looks really good on you! I can't believe she said it that way. Not tactful in the least! I think you're darling, and I'm glad you two are still having fun together!
P.S. Sorry for my reaction on the phone the other day. I really love you! Last Monday was just one of those days. :) You're the best!

Miller Family said...

That is so funny that your dr said that to you (the last part about the crying) she must really know how hormonal pregnant women are. You guys are seriously so cool! Enjoy your freedom! Being a parent is the most awesome thing ever and I would never change it, but it does make getting out and about a little harder.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

"huge" or not, you sure don't look it. don't stress. i have a friend who got HUGE (and i mean HUGE) and found out the just made a TON of amniotic fluid-so when she had the baby she lost like an additional 10-15 pounds of fluid on top of the baby! craziness. as long as you're healthy it doesn't matter. you're so active, too, that you'll drop any weight you do gain faster than you know it. i wish we were there to feel your little kicker! miss you...

p.s. the shirt looks cute on you!

Lisa Chuntz said...

First of all you are not huge, your little bump is adorable.

How amazing is that pic of you and JP on the bike at the beach? Who took that?...You guys are hands down thee coolest couple I know.

Alifinale said...

Your doctor is crazy - you are so not huge! You look so stinkin' cute I just wish I could rub that tiny belly. I just love seeing all the fun places you guys are going to. I totally remember OMSI when I was little I went there with my girl scout troop. Fun times...

Ashley said...

Maybe she is trying to tell you from the womb, "Mom, please quit trying to kill me by riding down vertical slopes...I am trying to grow bigger faster so that you stop being so crazy." I am actually totally kidding. I think it is good for babies to walk on the wild side while in the womb. And you guys are experts and know what you are doing. But I couldn't resist.

That exhibit looks so cool. I just got tickets to go for Adam's birthday in San Diego so I am glad you liked it. And I am so done with California beaches after seeing your husband ride his freaking motorcycle on the beach...are you kidding? There isn't an unregulated beach in this vast state where that would ever be even remotely allowed. I am moving to Oregon.

J-ROK said...

You are so funny! I don't think you look HUGE at all! Did you see my recent pic?! Granted, today's shirt made me look much small, but still :) My Dr. hasn't said anything about me being too big and I'm definately bigger than you- so I figure we're both aok! Please call me next time you're around Salem! We can get a juice and share pregnancy things :)

bulkleybunch said...

ber ber!!! i miss you!!! i didn't even know you went on a little trip. i suck. you are the cutest. i love that first picture. and you are pretty darn funny too. love you so so much. oh yeah, jp, you look super cool in the motorcycle pics.

The Walkers said...

Brit, you are so NOT huge. Seriously. I feel like a whale compared to you. I'm carrying my baby really high, so I feel even more huge. When are you due again? I can't remember.